|The Australian Vegetable Industry :
- Australia’s fourth largest agriculture industry with annual production valued at $2.83 billion .
- 40% bigger than the wool and lamb industries,
– More than double the size of the wine and poultry industries,
– Almost triple the size of the sugar and cotton industries.
- Approximately 6,500 growers, mainly family owned and operated, but numbers are declining.
- Queensland (33%) and Victoria (22%), produce over half the national crop by value.
- Tasmanian producers are are structured to supply vegetables for processing.
- Western Australian growers have stronger vegetable export markets than the other States.
The Australian vegetable industry is domestically focused, unlike most other agricultural industries.
Source: Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics; Australian Bureau of Statistics
“Food for All”
Learning from the Field Forum,
August 1, 2008
Vegetable Industry Economist
Industry Data Economic Analysis
Aussie exports battle foreign regulations
“Governments are turning a blind eye to Australia’s horticultural export crisis”, says David… Go to article.