Summary of the location, structure, production and performance of Victoria’s vegetable industry prepared by the Victorian State Government in 2014.
- There were 813 businesses in Victoria producing vegetables for human consumption.
- The gross value of vegetable production for human consumption in Victoria was $985 million.
- Port Phillip and Western Port region produced 42 per cent of the value of Victoria’s vegetable production.
- Victoria is the second largest vegetable producing state by value, after Queensland, with 26 per cent of total production value for Australia.
- The Victorian vegetable industry is driven primarily by domestic markets rather than exports.
- Victoria is the largest vegetable exporting state, contributing 31 per cent of Australia’s vegetable exports value in 2013-14.